Deploying complicated SAP landscapes right into a public cloud shouldn’t be a straightforward process. Whereas SAP foundation groups are typically very aware of the standard duties of putting in and configuring SAP techniques on-premise, extra area data is usually required to design, construct, and take a look at cloud deployments.
There are a number of choices to take the guesswork out of tedious and error-prone SAP deployment initiatives right into a public cloud:
- One technique to get began is the SAP Cloud Equipment Library (CAL), a repository of quite a few SAP options that may be instantly deployed right into a public cloud. Nevertheless, aside from its price, CAL solely comprises pre-configured digital machine (VM) photographs, so configuration modifications are exhausting or unimaginable.
- A free different has been to make use of SAP Quickstart Templates provided by most public cloud suppliers. Usually written in a shell script or a proprietary language, these templates supply some customization choices for pre-defined SAP eventualities. For instance, Azure’s ARM templates supply one-click deployments of SAP HANA and different options instantly in Azure Portal.)
Whereas each options are nice beginning factors, they normally lack configuration choices and adaptability required to construct up an precise, production-ready SAP panorama.
Based mostly on suggestions from precise clients who transfer their SAP landscapes into the cloud, the reality is that present Quickstart Templates not often transcend “playground” techniques or proof-of-concepts; they’re too inflexible and supply too little flexibility to map real-life enterprise and technical necessities.
This is the reason we, the SAP on Microsoft Azure Engineering staff, determined to enter the wrong way: As an alternative of providing “one-size-fits-all” templates for restricted SAP eventualities that may hardly be tailored (not to mention prolonged), we broke down SAP deployments in Azure to probably the most granular degree and supply “constructing blocks” for a very customizable, but easy-to-use expertise.
A brand new strategy to automating SAP deployments within the cloud
On this new, modular strategy to automating much more complicated SAP deployments in Azure, we developed a coherent assortment of:
- Terraform modules which deploy the infrastructure parts (resembling VMs, community, storage) in Azure after which name the:
- Ansible playbook which name completely different:
- Ansible roles to put in and configure OS and SAP purposes on the deployed infrastructure in Azure.
Stream diagram of Terraform/Ansible SAP automation templates.
An vital design consideration was to maintain all parts as open and versatile as attainable; though almost each parameter on each Azure and SAP facet will be personalized, most are non-compulsory. In different phrases, you will be spinning up your first SAP deployment in Azure inside 10 minutes by utilizing certainly one of our boilerplate configuration templates – however it’s also possible to use our modules and roles to construct up a way more complicated panorama.
A pattern deployment of HANA high-availability pair.
To your comfort, Terraform and Ansible are pre-installed in your Azure Cloud Shell, so the templates will be run instantly from there with minimal configuration. Alternatively, you’ll be able to, after all, use them out of your native machine or any VM as effectively.
Whereas the repository is printed and maintained by Microsoft Azure, the challenge is community-driven and we welcome any contributions and suggestions.
Beginning with SAP HANA, however much more to come back
After we began constructing our Terraform and Ansible templates just a few months in the past, we determined to begin out our engineering course of with HANA. SAP’s flagship in-memory database is the underlying platform and de-facto normal of most fashionable SAP enterprise purposes, together with S/4HANA and BW/4HANA. If you happen to’ve ever constructed an SAP HANA high-availability cluster from scratch, you’ll respect that we’ve taken the guesswork out of this complicated process and aligned our templates to the general public cloud reference architectures licensed by SAP.
At the moment, our Terraform/Ansible templates help the next two choices (extra application-specific eventualities are at present being labored on):
- Single-node HANA occasion.
- Single-node HANA occasion, two-tier replication (major/secondary) through HSR.
- Pacemaker high-availability cluster, totally configured with SBD and SAP/Azure useful resource brokers.
Since our key focus was to supply the best quantity of flexibility attainable, nearly each facet of the SAP HANA panorama will be personalized, together with:
- Sizing (select any supported Azure VM SKU).
- Excessive-availability (within the high-availability pair state of affairs, select to make use of availability units or availability zones).
- Bastion host (optionally, select from a Home windows and/or Linux “soar field” together with HANA Studio).
- Model (at present, HANA 1.zero SPS12 and HANA 2.zero SPS2 or increased are supported).
- XSA purposes (optionally, allow XSA software server and select from a set of supported purposes like HANA Cockpit or SHINE).
XSA SHINE demo content material for HANA.
It’s price noting that each one eventualities include “fill-in-the-blanks” boilerplate configuration templates and step-by-step directions that will help you get began.
Getting began is simple
Received a couple of minutes? In our well-liked Azure Friday collection, our staff member Web page Bowers walks by way of a SAP HANA dwell deployment utilizing our Terraform/Ansible templates.
Wish to soar proper in? Go to our GitHub repository and observe the “Getting Began” information – you’ll be increase your first SAP landscapes within the Azure cloud very quickly!